Nate Ellefson on Sat, 31 Jul 2004 09:09:42 -0500 (CDT)

RE: [eia] Nelson/Napoleon

> Thus spake "Nate Ellefson":
> > How to put this: I think the rule that Joel cited is the
> controlling
> > one, so I'd have to vote that Turkey does get 2PP.  That
> being said, I
> > don't think it *should* be that way...
>
> Why do you think it shouldn't be that way?

Bottom line, the sentence "Wow, that really speaks well of the Portugese
that the British have an admiral such as Nelson." seems unlikely to me.
I think a more likely statement is "Wow, the Portugese sure are lucky to
have fought under an admiral such as Nelson; they wouldn't have stood a
chance otherwise."  Political points are fundamentally representative of
national prestiege, and I can't think of cases where a nation ever
derives prestiege in the person of a commander from another country,
even if they served under that commander.