Joel Uckelman on Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:24:24 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Nelson/Napoleon

Thus spake "Kyle H":
>     My view is *not* that the Nelson/Napoleon bonus goes to whoever has the
> most fleets/corps.  My view is that the Nelson/Napoleon bonus goes to
> GB/France *only*.
>     So in the case that Mike describes, with one British fleet and multiple
> Spanish/Russian fleets under the command of Nelson, the Spanish and Russians
> would earn PPs normally while GB would get 1 PP + the Nelson bonus.
>     The fundamental issue for me is that it makes no sense that the success
> of a British commander would have any effect on Turkish politics.  The
> success or failure of a British commander held in high esteem (i.e. Nelson)
> has an effect on *British* politics.  The success or failure of a French
> commander held in high esteem (i.e. Napoleon) has an effect on *French*
> politics.  I don't see any good reason why it would affect anyone else.
>
> kdh

That's exactly the point on which we disagree. Nelson and Napoleon were the
foremost naval and land commanders of their time; they have quite a
reputation. If your fleet or army was commanded by one of them, why
wouldn't people in your government find that (dis)heartening in the event
that they lead you to victory (defeat)?

Can't you imagine someone in the the Turkish government concluding after a
naval defeat that if they can't win with Nelson at the helm, then they
simply can't win at all? Or the opposite, in the case of a victory?

--
J.