Michael Gorman on Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:44:05 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Nelson/Napoleon

At 11:12 AM 7/30/2004 -0400, you wrote:
    My belief is that only GB can gain or lose political points on account
of Nelson's presence at a battle.  Similarly, I think that only France can
gain or lose political points on account of Napoleon's presence at a battle.
While this is not stated clearly in the rules, I think it is the best way of
following the spirit of the rule change we adopted regarding how
multi-national forces are awarded political points after a battle.  Since we
have accepted the fundamental principle that different countries on the same
side of a battle can gain or lose differing amounts of political points, it
makes sense to me that we should differentiate who gets the benefit for
having Nelson/Napoleon.  (After all, why would the Turkish people be
encouraged because some foreign guy was in command when we won a battle?)

kdh

I tend to agree with Kyle's point but based on how we set things up last game, but it does lead me to think of another possible situation that we might as well figure out too.

I'm not sure how likely this is to come up with the number of fleet losses this game, but what if there was only one British fleet with Nelson and say all of the Spanish or Russian fleets on one side of a battle. The way we put things for land combat, the Russian or Spanish fleet would be considered the primary combatant since they contributed the most fleets/ships and thus would get the full value of the battle while the British would get one point for being there to help out. So, who would get the Nelson bonus then?

I figure this gives another way to look at it and if we find a solution that looks good from both directions we'll stay happy with it.

Mike