Michael Gorman on Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:43:31 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] Turkish land phase, July '05

At 07:08 PM 7/8/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Are you talking about me again, Mike?  :)    Well, for what it's worth here
is my opinion.  I don't think that anyone is trying to gain an unfair
advantage here, but I don't see this as an obvious "this is what was
intended" scenario.  In the same situation I would ask that the original
orders stand.  Chalk it up to miscommunication with the front lines or
something.  It seems a simple enough mistake, with the E and the W right
next to each other, but once both sides have moved and dice have been rolled
we should try not to revise our orders unless an illegal move was made which
demands some amount of correction, and even then making the least amount of
changes possible while trying to preserve the obvious intent.  (deep breath
here!).  Ultimately, I think the decision is up to Joel and Kyle (or
affected persons in the future).  And, please, whatever feathers are ruffled
in the process, let's remember to remain civil!
JRH

It was one of your orders, but I don't think that is the important issue. I think we established that we are going to be very lenient on mistakes that are made and therefore should continue to be so. I've actually come to be much more in favor of that policy than I was then since the push to move faster has become so strong. If we are going to push for orders to come out fast, we're going to increase the number of errors and therefore increase the number of instances when someone realizes they forgot a move and simply never had time to correct it since other people jumped in with their responses the minute the first order came out.

As to Kyle's request to keep his forage rolls. Well, it's once again in line with what we have done in the past. He didn't use this to take any truly bizarre moves and none of his forage results were worse than a 4- and he's been risking that level of forage roll throughout the game.

I think both Joel's request that the move he made on his map be allowed since in fact he had no real chance to correct the mistake and Kyle's that he not have to reroll are reasonable. Neither of them are asking for any moves that are unusual for their situation and it seems quite probable to me that the final troop positions are what they would have been had none of the errors been made.

If any of this had happened away from the front of a big war, no one would have blinked at what is being asked for. We've all amended orders several times well after our turn in the order has passed.

Mike