J.J. Young on Sat, 3 Jul 2004 09:40:14 -0500 (CDT)

[eia] obscure rules questions

1.)  Is it possible to place a new free state corps on the map overseas, with a corps of the major power that controls the free state (the obvious example would be placing a Swedish corps overseas with a British corps) ?

I believe so, since rule 5.2.1.2 states, "Purchased empty corps counters may be placed in an unbesieged home nation city (or minor free state city for corps of that minor free state) or with any existing, unbesieged friendly corps."  I believe that free state corps and corps of the power that controls them are considered "friendly" in the technical game sense, right ?

If it is possible, how would I be required to place my depots and fleets to properly set up the supply line neccessary ?

2.)  If I succeed in conquering the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, am I allowed to make either Naples or Sicily a free state, while keeping the other part conquered ?

Would it make any difference if I conquered Sicily first, and then Naples in a different month ?  Rule 10.4.3.2 states (among other things) that "It is possible for one major power to conquer a secondary district (by controlling its capital) while another major power controls the major district....  When this happens ... the major district is considered a separate minor country from the secondary district until the secondary district satisfies the conditions of neutrality."

So if I got control of Sicily, then Naples, _must_ I recombine them ?  I'm not yet even sure that that's what I would choose to do, I'm just exploring my options.

-JJY