Kyle H on Fri, 28 May 2004 21:17:15 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] French leaders

 > As this will be rather a precedent setting decision some other things
that
> will be allowed if leaders can fight nations whom they are not at war with
> are things like renting out your generals.

Let's not get carried away here.  A)  This would not set a precedent,
because the precedent was already set last game when I used Massena with the
Tunisians to fight the Turks.  B) The game would not come crashing down
around us as Mike seems to suggest.  There are very specific rules about
where a leader can be placed and what types of corps a leader can command.
A leader cannot command a stack unless a corps of that major power is
present in the stack.  So Mike's "mercenary" generals idea is a bit
far-fetched.

    Ok, now that we are back in reality, I find that Mike's is the stronger
side of this argument.  The rules say that the controlling power's "forces"
cannot be used against the minor country's enemy.  That language itself was
not convincing either way.  But the FAQ that Nate unearthed has tipped the
balance in Mike's favor, at least as far as my vote is concerned.  So, for
the record, I agree with Mike that French generals cannot fight the
Prussians/Danes without a declaration of war by France.  (It follows that my
use of a French general to fight the Turks in the last game was an error.
But since the Turks won that battle anyway, I don't feel to bad about it.)

    The question remaining in my mind is: what can we do to make this
situation more fair for France?  Clearly Jim was laboring under a
misconception of the rules.  If the misconception were entirely of his own
making, he would have no one to blame but himself.  But since we played it
that way last game, I think we are all responsible for Jim's misconception.
Therefore, it is incumbent on all of us to find an equitable solution.
Perhaps we could give Jim the option of redoing his political phase (thereby
allowing him to declare war on Prussia if he wants to)?  Jim, do you think
that would be fair?  Or do you have another suggestion of how we can help
you reach a solution that you think is fair?

kdh