Joel Uckelman on Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:32:59 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] a question about retreats

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> When a corps is retreated, either by its owner or by the victor of a =
> battle the corps has lost, is it illegal to retreat the corps into an =
> area occupied by enemy forces (thus forcing the corps to retreat another =
> space), if an open space exists which is equally far from the nearest =
> depot ?
>
> In other words, given a choice between two equidistant areas, do you =
> have to retreat a corps into an open space rather than an enemy-occupied =
> space, if possible ?  I could not find a rule that said this, but maybe =
> I missed something or am forgetting a house rule.
>
> -JJY

I did a search on 'retreat' and found no restriction on retreats that
prevents retreating into an area containing another enemy corps, nor
did I find anything about that in the errata. It is unusual for retreats
in a wargame to work like this---the usual mechanic is to prohibit retreats
into enemy-occupied areas---but the rules give me no reason to think that
this is illegal.