CPS - Personal on Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:41:10 -0600 (CST)

[eia] where do we go from here ?

Everett, in case you're still reading, I am _very_ sad to see you leave the
game.  In my opinion, you've been the star of the show for the last several
turns.

Assuming that Everett's decision is final, we now have to decide how to
procede.  I am strongly against running Austria as a UMP, for the following
reasons:

1.)  No one likes the UMP rules.  In our previous game, with less than 7
players, we constantly bickered about them.  Most of the issues we disagreed on
were never resolved.

2.)  None of us took UMP bidding into account when we made our original victory
point bids for this game.

3.)  Most importantly, Austria's central location and central role in the
game.  Not having a permanent player for Austria would be such a fundamental
change, both military and diplomatic, that this wouldn't be the same game we
were playing before, and we would be better served to start over.

I might be able to put up with issues #1 and #2, if we were talking about a
more peripheral country, such as Spain or Turkey or maybe even Britain or
Russia, but #3 clinches it for me in the case of Austria.

Here are some other options:

1.)  Find a new player for Austria (by far the most preferable).

2.)  Move one of the present players over to Austria, and make that player's
old country a UMP.

3.)  Have one of the present players control both their own country and Austria
for the rest of the game.  There are rules in place to handle victory
conditions for players controlling more than one country, and the relations
between the player's two controlled countries.

4.)  Start over at 1805 and rebid for victory points.

My preferences, in order, would be: new player, have one player control 2
countries, have one player switch to Austria, start over.  Any of these would
be better than having Austria become a UMP.

That's my two cents.

-JJY