Kyle H on Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:40:53 -0600 (CST)

[eia] 2 rules questions

    Hi guys.  As I've been doing more combat recently, I've come up with a couple combat-related rules questions.

Question #1:  Suppose a guard corps or an artillery corps is used as part of a flanking force.  Can artillery bombardments be conducted or the guard committed in rounds *prior* to the flanking force's arrival?  Although logic would seem to dictate that the answer is no in both cases, I have seen no rule verifying this hunch.  What do the rest of you think?

Question #2:  Suppose a player sends a set of land orders in which two armies are sent to adjacent spaces.  In one space, a field battle takes place.  In the adjacent space, a siege is anticipated.  As we know, the field battle is conducted first.  Is it possible for the player to use the army in the adjacent area to reinforce?
    It seems clear to me that the answer to this one should be 'yes'.  The only thing that makes me hesitate is the wording in section 7.5.2.11.1.2 which reads: "Forces may not attempt to reinforce if they have already or will take part in another combat this same major power sequence."  Someone might argue that since sieges *could* involve combat (siege assault combat), an army that is besieging is ineligible to reinforce a field combat in an adjacent space.
    This logic seems incorrect to me, since the decision to besiege or not to besiege takes place *after* all field combats are completed.  (Just because a player chooses not to use unused movement points for foraging does not *force* that player to actually lay siege.  It merely gives him the *option* of doing so.)  So I think 7.5.2.11.1.2 would be clearer if it were understood to be referring to *field* combats and not (potential) siege combats.  I doubt there will be any dispute on this point, but I just wanted to make sure before it actually mattered.

    If you have strong feelings on either of these 2 questions, please make your views known.

kdh