Michael Gorman on 12 Mar 2004 16:11:43 -0000

Re: [eia] [escrow] December 1807 Political Phase

At 06:10 AM 3/12/2004 -0600, you wrote:
I hate the way we do the political phase, and I'll take this opportunity
to whine about it once again.

-Everett

I'm torn on this one. The declaration of war step clearly states it is supposed to be simultaneously revealed by all players, as we do it now, but after that simultaneous revealing is used as the mechanism to resolve disputes rather than as the being explicitly necessary. Nations backing down from simultaneous declarations of war on a minor nation is an example of that.

By forcing everything to be simultaneous we stop the possibility of conflict over timing. No one can make a decision based on an already revealed decision and thus there will never be a timing argument where one person is waiting for someone else who is waiting for them. We thus run continuously under the how to resolve a dispute in the political phase. Of course, the downside of this is that it makes it much harder to coordinate joint actions since everyone has to remember the joint actions and whatever steps they each have to take to complete them. And what we've seen is some turns they all work out, other turns someone forgets a step and the joint action crashes for a month until they get recoordinated.

I can certainly understand that this is frustrating for the parties involved in the joint actions, but at the same time, it sure makes the coalition feel like what you read about the real coalitions against Napoleon. And so even while I can appreciate how annoying this approach is to some of the players, I like it at an aesthetic level because it makes the coalition feel like a real multi-national effort.

If enough people wanted to change it so we escrow just the declarations of war and required conflict resolutions, I wouldn't really be bothered by playing that way. But all these being equal, I like the feel of how we do it now even though it wouldn't bother me to do it differently.

Mike