Joel Uckelman on 29 Feb 2004 00:33:28 -0000

Re: [eia] proposal

Thus spake "Kyle H":
> After all, those who are in =
> charge get the lion's share of the glory in the real world, too.  Think =
> about it:  If you ask yourself, who was the victor at Waterloo, I bet =
> you'll think first of the British.  That's because their guy was in =
> charge.  The Prussians (and the Austrians?) get some glory, but they are =
> not as well remembered.

This may be because we're English-speaking. I suspect that Americans are
more likely to know something about famous Brits than famous Germans, with
a few exceptions. We have more of a chance of happening on a book in
English on Wellington than we do on Blucher. My guess is that if you asked
a German, they'd come up with Blucher first, for much the same reason.

>     Please give this proposal some serious thought before rejecting it =
> out of hand.  I think it is a way for all of us to get what we want: a =
> system that makes more sense than the one we currently have.  Once =
> you've considered it carefully, let me know what you think.
>
> kdh

I think this is fine, with the suggested modification (number of corps
taking primacy in determining the "lead" victor).

--
J.