CPS - Personal on 26 Feb 2004 20:00:23 -0000

Re: [eia] Comparing things

> I think we're talking past one another here. In what you've quoted above,
> I'm talking about their being exactly one victor, but potentially multiple
> losers. That would make combat zero-sum (neglecting the presence of
> Napoleon).

I understand that your example results in a zero-sum situation when there are
multiple losers and only one victor; I'm saying that your interpretation of the
rules does not result in zero-sum when there are _multiple_ victors.  If a
massive destruction of PPs is bad when multiple countries lose, then a massive
creation of PPs when multiple countries win should be just as bad.

> I can think of reasons for dividing PPs for victory as well, and I can
> think of reasons for all the victors to receive the full amount. What I'm
> most certain about is how PPs work for the losing side.

I'll state again that I think a participant in a battle should be under the
same PP gain/loss conditions for winning as for losing.  Gaining or losing full
PPs is undesirable, but better than full PPs victor and only partial PPs for
loss.

I agree with Mike that both interpretations have problems, but since we are
more than a quarter of the way in, and the political chart would look so much
different if we had been playing the back-of-the-book interpretation all this
time, why not stick with the rule as we've been playing it ?

-JJY