Joel Uckelman on 25 Jan 2004 05:54:52 -0000

Re: [eia] rule 8.2.1.2.1.5

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> I'm looking for a clarification of this rule, which states, "A major =
> power may not conduct any trade (except through eligible controlled =
> minor free state ports) if its national capital city is occupied by =
> unbesieged enemy factors.  A major power at war with Great Britain may =
> not conduct any domestic trade."
>
> My question is, does the first part of the rule, regarding capital city =
> occupation, apply to both domestic and American trade ?  The wording =
> seems clear that it does, but this rule is under the heading of domestic =
> trade (8.2.1.2.1).  On the other hand, the second sentence uses the =
> wording "any domestic trade", implying that the earlier use of "all =
> trade" really meant _all_ trade, both domestic and American.
>
> I just wanted to make sure everyone is on the same page about this =
> before it could come up.
>
> -JJY

My understanding of this is that the first part refers to all trade, while
the second part refers to trade with GB only. I believe the rationale is
that in the first case, you can't effectively collect duties on trade with
an occupied capital, while in the second case that represents a British
embargo, since all of the "domestic" trade is with Britain.

--
J.