James Helle on 2 Dec 2003 01:30:38 -0000

RE: [eia] Access

I understand Mike's hesitation to allow another power access because it
cannot be rescinded once they are in your borders.  I think the only way to
control this is to place limitations on the access.  Per 10.3.1.2.2 the
granting power may limit the provinces access is given to and prohibit
garrisons and depots.  Also, note that the granting power may *charge money*
for this access.  This may be the deterrent to a power overstaying it's
welcome!  {Technically there is no rule that says you cannot state: "free
access is granted for the months of Jan, Feb, and Mar.  Beginning in April
there will be a $2 charge per month for each Turkish controlled corps within
Prussia's borders"}.  I think *any* condition that is *agreed upon* by the
parties involved should be legal and binding as long as it is publicly
announced.

-----Original Message-----
From: eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:eia-bounces@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Michael Gorman
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 11:25 AM
To: eia@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [eia] Access

Well, I had a great Thanksgiving, hope everyone else did too.

Anyhow, access, why don't we just make it dynamic.  If people want to give
these long term open ended access agreements out, then yeah, it's
administratively easier to put it somewhere, but I want to be able to give
one unit access to one space of one country and not have to decide that
before that unit is in motion.  I want to be able to change my mind on
granting access based on how people moved prior to the unit asking for
access and don't want to be bound to give a unit access or not without
knowing what that access allows or implies.

I understand that most of the access agreements given in this game are open
ended do whatever you want agreements, but you'll also note that I haven't
granted them to people.  One of the reasons is that I'm not comfortable
telling someone march your troops wherever you want and since I gave you
full freedom of my nation, I can't even rescind it once you're inside. The
form people are discussing for granting access is one where I'm not inclined
to ever grant it because I have to completely give up control of my borders
to let someone move a corps across one space of my land.  Forcing the
declarations to go in the poltiical phase makes any other kind of access
difficult since you can't respond to changes in the military situation that
might make you no longer want to grant that access by the time the person
wants to use it.

Mike