Michael Gorman on 1 Dec 2003 19:24:30 -0000

[eia] Access

Well, I had a great Thanksgiving, hope everyone else did too.

Anyhow, access, why don't we just make it dynamic.  If people want to give these long term open ended access agreements out, then yeah, it's administratively easier to put it somewhere, but I want to be able to give one unit access to one space of one country and not have to decide that before that unit is in motion.  I want to be able to change my mind on granting access based on how people moved prior to the unit asking for access and don't want to be bound to give a unit access or not without knowing what that access allows or implies.

I understand that most of the access agreements given in this game are open ended do whatever you want agreements, but you'll also note that I haven't granted them to people.  One of the reasons is that I'm not comfortable telling someone march your troops wherever you want and since I gave you full freedom of my nation, I can't even rescind it once you're inside. The form people are discussing for granting access is one where I'm not inclined to ever grant it because I have to completely give up control of my borders to let someone move a corps across one space of my land.  Forcing the declarations to go in the poltiical phase makes any other kind of access difficult since you can't respond to changes in the military situation that might make you no longer want to grant that access by the time the person wants to use it.

Mike