Joel Uckelman on 17 Nov 2003 22:00:14 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish Land Phase, August 1807

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> > I'm not convinced by this. Austria could supply my troops with an Austrian
> > depot, and that wouldn't allow Spain to attack the Venetian fleet; that's
> > not in dispute. But how would anyone with the Spanish navy be able to
> > determine the origin of the supplies without boarding the Venetian ships?
> > And if they found that the supplies were headed for my troops, why would
> > the Spaniards care who paid for the supplies? I can't see them saying,
> > "Oh, these are *Austrian* supplies, carry on then!"
> >
> > So, either you shouldn't be able to attack fleets on account of depots,
> > or you should be able to attack fleets supplying your enemies, regardless
> > of who owns the depot. It doesn't make any sense to me to treat these
> cases
> > differently.
> >
> In that case, I'm of the opinion that you cannot place an invasion depot
> upon a fleet unless you have a corps there.  What I mentioned was what I saw
> as a potential exception to the placing a corps outside of your home nation
> rule.  But as you point out a good reason why that won't work, I'd say that
> you can only place an invasion depot on a foreign fleet if you meet the
> normal rules for depot placement outside of your nation.
>
> Yes, the exact wording for invasion supply sends you to a different section,
> but there is nothing in either the depot creation rules or the sea supply
> section placed elsewhere that indicates that naval depots are exempt from
> any of the standard depot placement restrictions.  I would say that a fleet
> counts as a corps if that isn't made explicit somewhere so that if you had a
> Turkish fleet present you could place the Turkish depot on the Austrian
> fleet and then have the Turkish fleet sail off to other areas but lacking
> some forces to build the depot, I would say a Turkish depot cannot be built.
>
> Mike

These are questions I'd like resolved.

1. Had there been a Turkish corps with the Venetian fleet, could I have
placed a depot with the fleet?

2. If so, could Spain attack the Venetian fleet without declaring war on
Austria?

I think the answer to 1 has to be yes, and no to 2.