Kyle H on 15 Nov 2003 12:14:37 -0000

Re: [eia] Austrian 8/07 land phase

    Sorry for the delay in keeping the action moving.  I caught some sort of
bug Friday morning, and as soon as I got home, I went to sleep and didn't
wake up until about a half an hour ago.
    Anyway, since moving too fast has stung me in the recent past, I am
reluctant to reply to the escrow until the following problems with Everett's
land orders are resolved.

Problem #1:
> 2 I Corp, 1 C Corp, and Lombardy Corp with Charles from E. of Milan =>
> Piacenza (f/a)

Since it costs 2 movement points to cross a river into battle, only the
cavalry corps would forage automatically.  The 3 infantry corps would forage
as follows:  5 (base value) - 2 (corps already present) + 1 (unused
movement) + 1 (home territory).  The result is a 5+ forage roll for these
corps.
    Since we agreed not to roll dice for one another, I will wait for
Everett to make these forage rolls himself.

Problem #2:
> C Corp at Linz => Piacenza  (f/3-)

I only see one possible movement path for this corps, and it has a 1 forage
value, not a 3.  I'm assuming that the first step for this corps will be the
Salzburg area.  This area has a forage value of 3.  That takes 2 movement
points.  It takes 3 more movement points to get to Bologna.  To get to
Piacenza would require one more movement point which means force marching.
So the forage value for this corps would be calculated as follows:  3 (base
value) - 2 (corps in area) - 1 (force march) + 1 (home territory).  The
forage value would be 1.
    Since this forage was already rolled and the roll was a 3, this cavalry
corps should lose 2 factors.

Problem #3:
> 3 I Corp at Salzburg holds, picks up 1 garrison factor ($1.5)
> C Corp at Leopoldstadt => Salzburg ($.5)
> I Corp at Olmutz => Linz ($1)
> 2 I Corp at Olmutz => west of Gratz ($2)

As far as I can tell, 7 corps are being fed from the same depot (at
Salzburg).  Am I missing a depot on my map?  Even taking Everett's revised
orders into account, there are still 5 corps being fed from one depot.
    This problem can be easily fixed at no additional cost to Austria by
placing a depot West of Gratz.

    In conclusion, the first problem requires 3 forage rolls at 5-.  The
second problem requires a loss of 2 factors from his cavalry corps.  The
third problem requires that a new depot be built at no additional expense.
Once Everett has confirmed these changes, I will send in my chit choice.

kdh