Joel Uckelman on 14 Nov 2003 04:32:52 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish Land Phase, August 1807

Thus spake Michael Gorman:

> The only restriction I could see working here is that you must have a corps
> present to build a depot outside of your home nation.  This would mean that
> you could only use foreign fleets when you are literally using invasion
> supply for an invasion.  I'm not sure if that is a sensible restriction,
> but it is the only one I can think of that might apply.
>
> Mike

Hmm. I had taken that restriction to apply to depots on land only, since it's
a subsection of 7.2.3 (which seems to be about overland chains), while
invasion supply is covered in 7.2.4 (which then refers you 7.4.4).

Oh, now I see the reference I was looking for, in 7.4.4, quoted here in
its entirety:

7.4.4 * Invasion Supply: A depot may be constructed on a fleet in a sea
area and used to provide supply for all corps and/or besieged port city
garrisons into all \em{adjacent} land areas (but not beyond) at the normal
depot supply money point costs. Although this is normally used to supply
disembarking corps, it can be used without the need for an actual "invasion"
(disembarking corps).

If the "this" in the last sentence refers to depot construction, then there's
no problem with constructing invasion supply depots when no corps are present.
I have a hard time making sense of this sentence if "this" refers to depot
use instead of depot construction, since then the game designers are telling
you that you need not continue unloading corps on subsequent turns in order
to use invasion supply---but why bother saying that when they give the
condition for invasion depot removal later in 7.4.4.2?