Everett E. Proctor on 13 Oct 2003 20:43:11 -0000

Re: [eia] allow me to muddy the waters even more

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:56:11 -0500
Michael Gorman <mpgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 11:09 PM 10/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
> > > You cannot normally tell a force in your country it
> > > cannot fight once you've given it access.  You cannot normally tell a
> > force
> > > in your country it cannot besiege your cities once you've given it access,
> > > nor can you restrict its right to besiege your cities in an access
> > > agreement.  The fact is, any level of access in this game lets someone do
> > > whatever they damn well please inside your nation once they have
> > > access.
> >
> >That is not true:
> >
> >10.3.1.2.2 Voluntary Access Limitations: . . . The player through whose
> >territory access is desired may set any conditions (eg., whether the
> >moving major power can leave garrisons, build depots, payment for the
> >privilege, etc.).
>
> This would not get around the land combat rules allowing no exceptions to
> enemy forces in the same space battling each other.  It would also not get
> around the requirement that you must besiege a city if you have any forces
> starting the turn in the same space and it is enemy occupied.

>The access
> rules can amend and alter the movement rules, but there is nothing in land
> combat that allows for exceptions to enemy land forces having to fight.
>
> If you are careful with your access terms you can make it uncomfortable for
> them to fight, but that's about it.

Huh?!?   Are we now talking about 2 different things?  I really do
believe that access according to 10.3  would allow you to state access
terms such that you can grant access but not allow combat.  Just say
somthing like "You may enter east galacia, but may not enter any territory with forces
you are currently at war with".

This is different from the limited access due to peace that you address
next:

> I think the only way we could make the limited access prohibit sieges is if
> we prohibited forces from entering city spaces.  Of course, this would mean
> all garrisons are lost at the end of a war.
>
> Demanding that you can't enter an enemy occupied space is not going to fly
> since it would allow someone who you are at war with to blockade you from
> getting out of the country you made peace with and force you to stand down
> your entire invading army.

I'm not aware of any proposal saying that you couldn't fight your way
out.