Michael Gorman on 25 Aug 2003 06:15:30 -0000

[eia] Retreat rules

I was reading over the retreat rules as I planned my next land phase and I think we've been doing them in a way that makes sense to me, but does not follow the rules. From what I can see, forces always retreat towards their closest depot, or lacking any placed depots, towards their closest capital. If the way is blocked, they don't take an alternate route, they just retreat multiple spaces. We've been having troops retreat along the shortest unobstructed path but to always go one space when possible. So, for example, if I rolled a force around to Brest-Litovsk and then defeated Blucher, how we've been playing, with Grodno and Brest-Litovsk containing enemy forces, Blucher would retreat to the swamp space south of him one space away. But reading the rules, I think they say he should be retreated to the northern space of West Galacia or the space between Grodno and Koniogsberg. And as I think about it, last turn when Prussia actually did have to retreat. I would have had the choice of the space he went to, or sending him to Grodno and then onto Brest-Litovsk since Grodno is occupied by a force that isn't a garrison without a depot. This would seriously alter the dynamics in retreats and what you can do to a force in retreat or withdraw.

Mike