J.J. Young on 18 Aug 2003 16:07:14 -0000

Re: [eia] Spanish Land Phase, 4/07

Kyle, we need to stop wasting our time typing emails about the same things
simultaneously !  :-)

On further reading of rule 7.4.3.1, I find that I have been interpreting
this rule slightly incorrectly.  I never violated the rule myself in this
game, but I passed on my incorrect interpretation to Danny.  In order to
connect two ports by sea supply, the rule says, "At least one of these ports
must contain a fleet of the major power and/or an ally and _that port_ (my
underline) must be a supply source or be able to trace a valid supply chain
to a supply source."  I had thought that the fleet could be in either of the
two ports, and when Danny asked me about sea supply, that's what I told him.
But apparently I am wrong.  Sorry, Danny.

I have gone back carefully over the records and I find that because of this
mistake, which was the fault of my bad advice, Spain's sea supply to
Damietta was invalid for March and April.  However, this could easily have
been fixed if the Spanish I fleet, which had been staying in Damietta to
maintain sea supply there, instead accomplished the same purpose by moving
to Naples or Palermo in March, and maintaining a depot in one of those
places for a cost of $1 in the economic phase, then moving to Barcelona in
April's naval phase.  Then sea supply was maintained the entire time.

So Danny, the upshot is that you would have had to pay an additional $1 in
the economic phase (which you could just pay now), and the I fleet would now
be in Barcelona, and there's no problem with sea supply.  Again, I'm sorry
about this mistake.

On the Naples issue, I find that there's a maximum penalty of 2 to the
forage roll for big garrisons, so the forage roll would be 4-2 = 2-.  So
Spain could either build a depot in Naples, and pay the $1.5 to feed then,
or lose 2 factors.

So to sum up:
1.)  To maintain sea supply until now, the fleet in Damietta had to have
moved to a Spanish supply source (Barcelona ?), and Spain had to have paid
an additional $1 of maintenance in the 3/07 economic phase (which I include
in the following total costs).

2.)  Spain can either pay a total cost of $9 and build a depot in Naples, or
pay a total cost of $8 and lose 2 factors in Naples.

I hope this is a satisfactory solution.  I tried to fix my mistake with a
solution with the minimum change, that was fair to both warring parties.

-JJY