J.J. Young on 11 Jul 2003 17:16:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish Land Phase, September 1806

Here is a direct quote from a communication between London and
Constantinople, dated 6/30/03 (real calendar):
"I will pay for supply of your troops in Italy as long as they remain on
British (or Austrian) territory.  However, I cannot pay for their supply if
they move into Naples."

Great Britain had stated clearly to the Ottoman Empire (in August, game
calendar) that it would be willing to pay for supply of the Turkish cavalry
corps in Italy as long as they remained on British or Austrian-controlled
territory, but _not_ on Spanish-controlled territory.  Such an action would
be a violation of our stated position of neutrality in the Spanish-Ottoman
war.  Moreover, Britain was not asked beforehand about supply for this move
by the Turks.  Therefore, Great Britain _does_not_ agree to pay the $3 for
supply to the Turkish cavalry corps attacking Naples.  This corps will have
to forage or change its orders.

The British government regrets being placed in this awkward position, and
intends no hostility towards its Turkish ally.  We repeat, however, that
this refusal is not a "backtracking", but simply following through on a
policy clearly stated earlier.

God Save the King !
-JJY