Kyle H on 2 Jul 2003 22:48:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Rescinded Access

    Suppose country A gives voluntary access to country B.  Can country A ever rescind that access?  Let me clarify the question.  I realize that country A can close off access to any *new* troops.  But can country A also insist that troops currently in the country leave?  Or is country stuck with country B's forces for as long as country B wants to keep them in country A's territory?

    Regardless of what the rules may or may not say, I believe that there ought to be some mechanism for evicting foreign forces which are no longer welcome in your territory.  I think that the 6 month time limit (like at the end of a war) would be an appropriate rules mechanism to utilize in this sort of situation.

    Any other opinions?

kdh

P.S.  JJ, I don't really have a reasonable approach to resolving your rules question.  That is, I cannot think of any convincing reasoning on one side or the other.  So I'll just vote my selfish interests in this case which are to have you round $0.5 twice.  But, as you said, I won't cry any tears if the vote goes against me.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 1:44 PM
Subject: [eia] Rescinded Access

With the many access agreements ending this turn it is important to remember that any forces within nations under now defunct access agreements are still bound under those agreements and forces that passed through nations under access agreements cannot be denied the right to return to their homelands under the terms of those agreements.

10.3.1.2.1 General Access Rules: Once inside another's province or controlled minor country, the voluntary access permission to be there may not be rescinded (unless war between the major power's negates the agreements).

10.3.1.2.1.1: Other corps or forces may be denied entry, but those already there must be allowed to move, detach garrisons and place depots as desired within any conditions already set.

10.3.1.2.1.2: Forces may not be granted voluntary access to move through a major power's territory and then denied permission to return by the same route and under the same conditions.

This may require some book keeping in the archives to keep track of any units eligible to invoke the last clause.

Mike