Michael Gorman on 30 Apr 2003 21:37:00 -0000

Re: [eia] escrow for 2nd's

At 04:36 PM 4/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
    The way I was envisioning it (which, by the way, does not have to be the
final version), the only decisions that would be privileged would be the
major Phases of the game (Political I, Political II, Reinforcement, Naval,
Land, and Economic).  Obviously, since we are keeping information private,
no one else can possibly make these decisions for us.  However, everything
else is up for grabs.  That includes rolls for foraging, decisions to commit
the guard, rolling combat dice, and even choosing chits/combat tactics
(although I would allow extra time for the latter since it can be a very
difficult choice).
    The time limits I was imagining were 24 hours + 6 hours for the 2nd = 30
total hours for most decisions, and 36 hours + 12 hours for the 2nd = 48
total hours for chit choice.
    Again, since I am not a dictator, everything I am suggesting here is up
for discussion/revision.  But that's what I was imagining.

kdh

I'm not home much during the weekends, which means a 24 hour response time on weekends will pretty much never happen.

Decisions like guard committal are hardly trivial things I'll leave up for grabs either. I don't care about simple rolls, Joel and I were rolling sending out for each others dice rolls all the time when Turkey and Russia were fighting regularly. But I won't hand off important decisions to someone else because there is a desire to make this game a major life priority.

I don't care who sends in the request for a roll so long as there are no decisions that have to be made before the roll.

My personal feeling is you guys are way too fixated on making this game as fast as possible. Major wars are not going to go fast. There is simply too much going on. I expect the next year or so of game time will go fast though since no one is fighting and there won't be many decisions that require coordination of many people. With an incredibly active first year, we've dragged a lot. But as enforced peace constraints mandate a quiet second year, things should now speed up without these unnecessary constraints on response time.

Mike