Joel Uckelman on 30 Apr 2003 04:09:01 -0000

Re: [eia] reparations

Thus spake "J.J. Young":

> Question: since Russia has ceded a province, will its reparations be based
> on its current home nation tax value ($70), or on its original national tax
> value ($75) ?  I would think the answer would be obvious (current), except
> that it says, "(printed on the map)".  What do the rest of you think ?
>
> -JJY

Suppose you're not playing with the "Balance of Power" option, so that a
power can loose more than three home provinces. If reparations come from
the printed value next to the power's name, then it would be possible to
permanently bankrupt a power, since bankruptcy doesn't forgive formal debts
(see 8.5.2). E.g., if Russia possessed only Moscow province and had to pay
$90 in reparations, I think he'd go bankrupt during every economic phase
thereafter until the debt was gone. That doesn't make sense to me. If you've
ceded a province, your tax value isn't the printed one anymore.