Everett E. Proctor on 29 Apr 2003 06:04:01 -0000

Re: [eia] more 12.4

I have problems with the following things that could result:

> 3. X's units may enter an area of Y's under the following circumstances:
>  Corps only:
>   a. doing so brings X's corps nearer to one of X's garrisons
>   b. doing so brings X's corps nearer to an X-allied depot

So, as long as France had a garrison or a depot in Italy it could cross over Lombardy to fight the British in Italy.

>  All land units:
>   d. doing so brings X's unit nearer to one of Y's ports

Since France has ports all around its perimeter, any move inside France would satisfy this, so free reign inside France. (suggestion:  change to "closer to the nearest port")

>   e. there is an enemy unit that on its next move could reach the area X's
> unit currently occupies

So complete free reign?   So, since France will always be at war with
England, France could move a unit to Genoa, then claim that England
could reach it by boat, so now it has the right to cross Lombardy.

Personally, I would prefer having more limited access, especially such
as not being able to introduce new corp into a country in order to
retrieve garrison. Yes, some garrison may end up being eliminated. But
you know this when you make the peace, and you should consider these
considerations when you make the peace.

I don't think that you will be able to come up with something that will
guarantee that you can rescue all remaining garrisons, and to be able to avoid battles with people you are still at war with, without allowing
enough loopholes that can be taken advantage of to allow undesirable
results.

-Everett