Joel Uckelman on 29 Mar 2003 22:53:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Spanish Reinforcement Phase (Sept. 05)

Thus spake "Kyle H":
>     This is exactly why I think Joel's suggestion is a bad way to go.
> Rather than relying on observable phenomena (like whether there is a corps
> on the map) we are supposed to rely on unobservables on the declarer's
> national card.  Essentially, this makes it possible for a country with a
> fleet in port to declare war on virtually anything.  (After all, he *might*
> build a corps...)
>     I think this is the wrong way to go, but I don't care enough about it to
> argue strenuously.  Whatever you guys want...
>
> kdh

It would make a DoW possible only if a corps had already been purchased. I'm
not making a suggestion as to how we should handle the situation; I'm giving an
explanation for what the rule says. Bad or not, if we do anything else then
I believe we'll be violating the rule.