Kyle H on 29 Mar 2003 13:56:01 -0000

Re: [eia] you're absolutely right

Mike wrote:
> We're playing nations at war.  Russia is currently being attacked by a
huge
> force and if the coalition attacking is allowed to rewrite every error
they
> make, I might as well just unconditionally surrender now and not bother
> playing the rest of the game.  The game is won and lost on errors and if
we
> allow infinite rewriting then the game devolves from strategy to a simple
> punch fest.  I'm bigger than you, I cannot make errors, so I win.

    I honestly don't see the game the same way you do.  I don't see it as
being won or lost on the basis of errors - or at least not the kind of
errors I'm talking about.  (I've been talking about correcting stupid,
obvious errors, not the kind of hindsight errors where I say to myself in
September "Gee, I wish I hadn't attacked the Papacy back in March.")
    I see this game as being won or lost on the basis of strategy,
diplomacy, and a bit of luck.  If I thought this game were all about who
makes the fewest stupid errors, then I wouldn't really be interested in
playing it.

    Oh well, it doesn't really matter...

kdh