Michael Gorman on 21 Dec 2002 20:51:01 -0000

Re: [eia] question about multi-national sieges

At 01:20 AM 12/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Since St.P did not have a breach this month, and the siege is continuing, let me ask this rules question:  what would the consequences be if GB and Spain did not have combined movement next turn ?  Would the siege have to be lifted altogether, and if so, when would it stop ?  If it doesn't have to lifted, which nation (if either) gets to attempt a breach ?  Would their be any differences in the way a relief battle would be fought, if the Russian army returned to the area ?

-JJY
        This is a damn good question.  So far I have not found a good answer.
        As JJ pointed out, the set of rules for how to handle multi-national forces specifically applies itself only to field battle situations.
        I don't like the idea of it giving tag-team siege rolls where each power gets to make siege attacks when they are allied, but that may be what we have to do.  Since you already have to be past your supply phase to take part in a siege battle, it does not seem possible for corps that have not had a turn to take part in a siege.   So, I guess my best answer at this point is that the units act individually and you get two take two shots at the city, once with each nationality of forces but that they can't combine in the attack for the actual battle rolls.  This would make uncombined sieges dangerous against big garrisons but very nice against weak garrisons.

Mike