Kyle H on 21 Dec 2002 16:31:03 -0000

Re: [eia] question about multi-national sieges

    These are all excellent questions.  I think they are answered by close inspection of rule 7.3.8 which explains the movement/attack sequence when there are forces of multiple major powers in a single area.  In particular, I would direct your attention to 7.3.8.4 which says that after an attack has been declared, "[a]ll major powers not at war with the attacker (...) must now leave the area..." moving to whichever adjacent area is closest to their source of supply.  So suppose GB goes before Spain in the land phase and declares a siege attack.  My understanding is that, since Spanish forces are not at war with the attacker (GB), they would have to leave the area immediately.  (Of course, they could return during their land phase and declare an attack, but that would kick the British forces out.)
    The same set of rules would handle any limited field combats.  7.3.8.2 reads: "The phasing major power (...) moves all his forces normally and must declare an attack against all field forces (...) with which he is at war, in each area that also contains his field forces."  To me this wording indicates that if Russia attacks the area around St. Petersburg while it contains both British and Spanish forces, he must attack both of them together ("...all field forces with which he is at war...") *even if GB and Spain did not declare combined movement*.

That's my interpretation.  Anyone else see things differently?

kdh
----- Original Message -----
From: J.J. Young
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 1:20 AM
Subject: [eia] question about multi-national sieges

Since St.P did not have a breach this month, and the siege is continuing, let me ask this rules question:  what would the consequences be if GB and Spain did not have combined movement next turn ?  Would the siege have to be lifted altogether, and if so, when would it stop ?  If it doesn't have to lifted, which nation (if either) gets to attempt a breach ?  Would their be any differences in the way a relief battle would be fought, if the Russian army returned to the area ?

-JJY