Joel Uckelman on 20 Dec 2002 05:30:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Apologies

Thus spake "J.J. Young":

> Maybe Napoleon feared naval interference along the coast by GB ?  Maybe the
> roads leading from Poland to Moscow were better ?  I know Napoleon's real
> goal was to force the Russian army into decisive battle, so it could be
> destroyed.  Maybe there were political and/or religious reasons why the
> Russians would be more likely to fight for Moscow than for St. P.
>
> -JJY

I think the Gulf of Finland freezes enough in winter to prevent safe
navigation by wooden ships. It might be that there's too much poor terrain
between East Prussia and St. Petersburg---that area is heavily wooded, and
swampy in parts.

--
J.