Kyle Haidet on 16 Dec 2002 02:52:01 -0000

Re: [eia] Spanish I fleet orders?

>I still think you should check with EiH about it, because I think that the
>spirit of the rule is that France/GB give up their choice of when to go
>altogether when combining movement with another power.
>
>-JJY

   I know we've had GB/France give up their choice when they announce combined movement in past games, but after having reviewed the rules, I don't know where we got the impression that this was required.  That is, I don't see where you're getting your interpretation of the "spirit" of this rule.
   As far as I can tell, the spirit of the rule is that no country can use combined movement to go *earlier* than they would otherwise go.  That is, no non-dominant major power can manipulate combined movement in order to get the effect of a "double move" (which is the exclusive prerogative of dominant powers).
   I'll look into the feasibility of mentioning this rule to the EiH crowd.  (Their naval rules are very different from EiA, and I don't want to bug them unless the situation applies to EiH as well.)

kdh