Kyle Haidet on 16 Dec 2002 02:45:01 -0000

Re: [eia] KYLE, READ THIS FIRST !!

>>    JJ, I disagree that you should get to know whether I am using the Naples corps before chits are selected.  In the combat sequence, chit selection is *before* revealing forces.  Of course, I don't get to decide which corps I am using *after* I see your chit choice.  So what I need to do is reveal my forces along with my chit selection (i.e., in the same email).  (Just like those who choose outflank should reveal their forces with their chit selection.)
>

>I would disagree with this.  The "reveal forces" means to turn over the
>chit and reveal the actual number of the corps involved.  You already
>know how many corp and where they came from, you just don't know exactly which corp they are.
>
>-Everett

Here's what the rulebook says about revealing forces: (7.5.2.6.3) "REVEAL FORCES: Both sides simultaneously reveal corps identities, the exact size and composition of their forces and their final morale levels."  I guess that wording could be read two different ways.  On the one hand, you could read identities to mean 'the identities of the corps you already know are there'.  That would be Everett's take.  On the other hand, you could read it to mean that the exact composition of your enemy is in question until the identities are revealed, including the number of corps.  That was my reading.

   However, when I think about it, I guess it makes sense that the British commander outside Naples would know whether he is being attacked on two fronts (the city and the beach) or just one (just the beach) before he deploys his troops.  So I'm willing to concede on this point.  As JJ pointed out, it really makes little difference...

   So France hereby announces that the Naples corps will indeed participate in the coming battle.  JJ, please let me know if you wish to make any adjustments to your strategy as a result of this announcement (i.e. if you want a new escrow).  After I hear from JJ that all is well, I will send my chit choice.

kdh