Michael Gorman on 18 Nov 2002 23:05:02 -0000

Re: [eia] Battle & seige

At 04:32 PM 11/18/2002 -0600, you wrote:
Thus spake menexenus@xxxxxxx:

>    However, I am still generally opposed to using escrow to resolve (most)
> battles and here's why: if one side chooses Outflank, they are supposed to > split their force *before* finding out what their opponent's strategy was.
> When we use escrow, both parties will find out the other's strategy
> simultaneously. This gives players who choose Outflank an advantage that the
> weren't designed to have. Since Outflank is a very realistic choice for the > French in most cases, I will generally want to use a method other than escrow
> for battles involving more than one corps.

This occurred to me when conducting my last battle, and I worried about it
until I realized that there's an easy way to handle Outflank. If you're
going to outflank, divide your forces when you make your chit selection.
The only situation in which this would reveal more information than
resolving a battle in realtime is in the event of a successful withdrawal,
as the reveal forces step is after the withdrawal step. Is this an
acceptable solution?

--

I came to the same conclusion as I was also considering an outflank in the battle between Russia and Turkey this turn. I had simply decided I would tack on my split with the chit choice. To moderate the impact should a withdrawal be chosen, I figure you can identify flanking and pinning forces by corps rather than give strength details. It still reveals information if people have kept up with corps strength, but as corps in the same location can exchange forces invisibly every reinforcement phase, the information can rapidly become outdated. Strength details can then be revealed normally in the reveal forces phase.
Mike