Michael Gorman on 18 Nov 2002 04:23:02 -0000

Re: [eia] Battle & seige

What I would say is that if you have guard corps there, then resolve the rounds one at a time if you use the pbm roller. If you have chit choices that require rolls by round, you can either resolve round by round or just add an extra line of dice so you have a roll for each round. Even if round by round tips off the other person that you might do something, it's not like there is anything you can do in a siege battle. If you're in a field battle, once forces are revealed, the presence of guard factors can be sufficient reason to resolve round by round if one side is a nation that can use guard committal. It might turn out to slow the fight down slightly, but from what I've seen, if both people are regularly checking email, you can do a lot of exchanges in a day. I really like pbm since I don't have to figure out when I have a block of time to coordinate with the other person and I can send off for dice rolls while I'm at work and have a ten or fifteen minute break, but I don't see that we need to formalize how to resolve battles. If one person feels that openRPG or pbm won't work for a given fight, then don't use it for that one.

Mike