Kyle H on 13 Aug 2002 01:31:04 -0000

Re: [eia] condensed garrison issues in votable format

    Thanks for sending out your views, Mike.  (BTW, glad you had fun at GenCon.)  I've got a few questions and comments.

> ISSUE 1A:  GARRISON MIGRATION.  Can factors from a pre-existing city
> garrison become part of a depot garrison at the time that a new depot is
> created in the same area?
[snip]
> I agree with JJ.  That seems to be fully supported by the rules.

Well, I'm glad we all agree.  But I honestly don't know where you and JJ find any support for the idea that garrisons can move on their own in the rules.  In fact, there seems to be evidence against that view.  7.3.4 lists corps, cossacks, freikorps, and guerillas as the only things that can be moved out of a city (using zero movement points).  Garrisons are conspicuously absent from this list.
    Again, I'm happy that we all agree that garrisons *should* be able to move out to garrison a depot.  But I don't see how it is "fully supported by the rules".  (If I've missed something, I'd be happy to have it pointed out to me.)

> I think it has to be defined when enemy forces arrive if it is a pure garrison factor force, no corps present, or at the
beginning of the combat phase if there are corps present. So, I don't believe it is necessary to define which factors are where when the garrison or depot is created.

    That's essentially the rule that we've been using all along.  So, it's fine by me.

> ISSUE 2A: CAN CORPS BURN DEPOTS?
[snip]
> 7.3.3.5.1: All army factors/corps used to garrison a depot must be of the same major power as the depot.
>
> As Corps can be part of a depot garrison, I see no reason why they cannot do anything a depot garrison can do.

    I had missed the mention of "corps" in 7.3.3.5.1 before.  Thanks for pointing it out.  (It's strange that 7.3.3.3.1 does not list corps as being eligible to be part of a depot garrison yet 7.3.3.5.1 does...  But, whatever.  That's EIA...)
    Here's a question, though:  must a corps have 10 or fewer factors in order to garrison a depot?  (See 7.3.3.5.)  My thinking is: to heck with the limitations.  If a corps is in the same space as a depot, it can choose to burn it as if it were a garrison, regardless of whether that corps could qualify as a garrison.  That just seems easier and more realistic.  (After all, it doesn't take much to send a rider over with a torch and the 19th century equivalent of lighter fluid.)

> ISSUE 2B:  HOW ABOUT ALLIED OR CONTROLLED MINOR FREE STATE CORPS?  If we
> say YES to Issue 2A, can allied or minor free state corps burn ungarrisoned friendly depots?
[snip]
>       I agree with JJ on this one too.  [Controlled free state corps YES, allied corps NO.]

Normally, controlled free state forces are only allowed to garrison a depot within the borders of that particular minor free state.  (7.3.3.5.2)  Are we going to stick with this rule?  (Honestly, I don't see the point of it, especially in light of the fact that we are using optional rule 12.3.8 which allows free state garrisons outside the free state's borders.)  If so, does that mean that controlled minor free state corps cannot burn a depot outside the borders of that minor country?

    So, to sum up, I've got 2 important lingering questions plus 1 additional unimportant one:
Important #1: Must a corps have 10 or fewer factors to be eligible to burn a depot?  (I recommend NO.)
Important #2: Can minor free state corps and factors garrison a depot outside the borders of the free state?  (I recommend YES.)
Unimportant #3: Where do you find language supporting the view that garrisons can move?

kdh