Kyle H on 11 Aug 2002 17:31:02 -0000

[eia] One besieged forage roll or many?

    Although JJ says "Definitely YES," I say just as forcefully "Definitely
NO."  Let me try to illustrate why I think his interpretation makes no
sense.  Suppose the Syria corps is at its beginning strength of 5 inf and 6
cav, and suppose it is sitting in Damascus.  If it is besieged alone, it
will roll one die at 1-.  Average losses will be 2.5 factors, maximum losses
will be 5 factors.  Now suppose that the very same corps had detached its
infantry as a garrison prior to being besieged.  So we have *exactly* the
same forces in Damascus - 5 inf. and 6 cav. - but this time the corps
contains the 6 cav. and the 5 inf. are detached as a garrison.  Now, under
JJ's suggestion, the owner of Syria will have to make 2 forage rolls, both
at 1-.  Average losses will now be 5 factors and maximum losses will be 10.
    Does this make any sense at all?  If so, I can't see how.  In this
example, we have exactly the same human beings in Damascus; they are simply
organized differently.  Why should one mode of organization entail twice as
many losses as the other?  (I'm not just asking rhetorically.  If anyone can
answer this question for me, I'd appreciate it.)
    Because of the implausibility of this interpretation, I think all the
inhabitants of the city are meant to be treated in the aggregate, not as
individual garrisons or corps.  Conveniently, this interpretation gets a
great deal of support from the language in 7.5.4.1.

    In order to get more perspective on this issue, I have posted this very
question to the Empires in Harm email list.  I'll let you know what response
it receives.  (Maybe seeing what other people do will help.)

kdh

P.S. BTW, thanks to JJ for his last comment about the single noun "garrison"
used in 7.5.4.2.  I think that's very helpful in solidifying the idea that
all factors in a city (that are not in a corps) count as a single garrison.
Of course, if I'm right, then counting garrisons won't make any difference.
But if I'm wrong, then it will.