Kyle H on 9 Aug 2002 01:54:03 -0000

[eia] garrison migration

    In the email below, Mike describes a rare scenario in which a corps is
still in a city even though it is unbesieged simply because it has not yet
had an opportunity to expend the zero movement points it takes to leave the
city and enter the surrounding area.  In previous games, we have always been
somewhat sloppier regarding when a corps is in the city or not, but that's
ok.  I'm willing to be a bit more strict with the rules if that's what
people like.  However, I wonder about how we want to handle another,
somewhat similar situation involving garrisons.
    Just to use a real situation, let's take a look at the Prussian garrison
at Konigsberg.  (It's far away from all the action, so I hope no one minds
that I am using it as an example.)  Right now the garrison is a city
garrison.  Suppose King Friedrich Wilhelm III suddenly had an urge to start
moving corps out to the eastern portion of his domain.  To facilitate this
movement, he creates a depot in the Konigsberg area.  Now here's the
question: Does the city garrison get to move "for free" out into the area to
become a depot garrison?  (If so, when does this happen?  Immediately, or
during the land phase?)
    A strict reading of the rules would seem to indicate that once a
garrison becomes a city garrison, it can never again migrate out into the
area where the depot is, because garrisons do not move.  Hence, they have no
movement points to spend.  Hence, they cannot spend the zero movement points
necessary to move from the city to the depot (which is in the area outside
the city).
    So I guess there are a few questions here.  A)  Do we agree that what I
have called a "strict reading of the rules" is in fact what the rules say?
B) If so, are we happy with that, or would we like to change it?  C) If we
want to allow garrisons to migrate freely between cities and depots, are
there any restrictions on how and when this migration can take place?
    In the past, we have always assumed that a garrison is attached to a
depot first and a city second.  If a depot suddenly appears in a space that
has a city garrison, the city garrison is now understood to be a depot
garrison.  (This can cause problems if the city garrison contains more than
10 factors, but that never came up in any previous games as far as I can
recall.)  Personally, I am inclined toward retaining this house rule and
allowing city garrisons to "migrate" out and become depot garrisons, but I'm
willing to do whatever the group decides.  I just want to know what we are
going to do before the issue comes up.

kdh