J.J. Young on 24 Jul 2002 13:24:03 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish land phase, 1805

The one time I can think of that a corps is in a city with no beseiging
enemy is the rare situation after an enemy has given up a seige and moved
away.

Or- a corps is transported directly into a port city by sea.

7.3.7.1 seems to say that attacking corps can either move on or stay if the
defender chooses to be in the city, and if they stay, they may besiege or
not.  However, all attacking corps in that space must make the same choice,
that is, they must all besiege or must all stand aloof.  Only corps which
have not modified their forage rolls with unused movement points may
participate in the seige, and so if there is to be any siege at all that
turn, none of the attacking corps could have modified their forage rolls.

I assumed that Joel's intention was to lay siege to Cairo, which he could
not have done according to his orders with modified forage rolls.  So again,
if Turkey's intention was indeed to begin a siege, it's OK with me if he
wishes to redo his forage rolls to make that possible.

Otherwise, we have to figure out the nebulous situation of a corps which is
in a city, surrounded by enemy forces, but is not under siege : /     .

-JJY