Everett E. Proctor on 24 Jul 2002 06:31:03 -0000

Re: [eia] Turkish land phase, 1805

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 01:02:08 -0500
Michael Gorman <mpgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 11:33 PM 7/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >The Egyptian corps in Cairo withdraws into the city.  If the two Turkish
> >corps choose to lay seige, this means that they cannot modify their forage
> >rolls with unused movement points (7.4.1.2.2).  So the rolls would be 3-
> >(4-1 corps already there) for the first corps to move in, and 2- (4 - 2
> >corps already there) for the second corps to move in.
> >
> >Joel, since you didn't realize this when making out your orders, it's OK
> >with me if you want to modify the orders, and/or a reroll for the forage is
> >probably in order for the I corps in Egypt that already rolled (rather than
> >that corps simply losing one more factor), unless you prefer to stick with
> >the original roll of 5.
> >
> >-JJY
>          I'm not sure that is correct.  The decision to retire into the
> city is not made until an attack is declared.  Attacks are not declared
> until the end of the movement phase, 7.5.1.  By then, all supply rolls have
> already been made.
>          I looked this over when I was planning my move as I wanted a way
> to get to the corps in Nicopolis while it was alone.  But it seemed pretty
> clear that I could not consider the corps at Ruschuk under siege until the
> end of all of my movement.  In that case, the rules for using movement
> points when sieging would only apply in the turns following the beginning
> of the siege.  Otherwise, you'd have to redo the supply for several units
> after all movement was complete, and that doesn't follow the general supply
> rules that each unit is supplied as it finishes movement.

7.3.7.1 says that the declaration of attack happens as soon as a corp
moves into an area containing an enemy corp.

and

7.4.5.3 says that the loss of extra movement for foraging does occur
even if it is the first turn of the siege.

-Everett