Kyle H on 19 Jun 2002 18:42:03 -0000

[eia] online combat resolution

    Hi guys.  I may have just found a solution to our online problem.  Just
to bring everyone up to speed, whenever we need to resolve combat in this
game (and it can't be done FTF) we have always in the past logged onto Yahoo
Backgammon because it allows us to roll D6's and chat at the same time.
However, it's a little inconvenient because only 3 people can be present at
any one time (2 players and an observer).  Plus there is the inconvenience
of having to move the pieces on the backgammon board before you hand the
dice off to someone else.  And it's a pain to keep having to reject
strangers who invite us to play backgammon with them.  All in all, it would
be nice if we could find a cheap reliable alternative that allows us to roll
dice and chat in real time.
    I think I may have found it.  It's called OpenRPG.  As the name implies,
it is completely free and open-source.  (From the description, I'm guessing
that it is an open-source version of WebRPG, on old program that some of us
used to mess around with when it was still free.)  Unfortunately it requires
installation of something called Python which is apparently comparable to
(but incompatible with) Java.
    Disclaimer:  I have not tried this program out for myself yet.  But if
it is what I'm thinking, then it may be the solution we have been looking
for to our online combat resolution problem.  Those of you who are
interested are invited to check it out.  The relevant downloads can be found
at:

http://www.openrpg.com/download112.php

Hope it works out for us!

kdh