Joel Uckelman on 8 Jun 2002 17:44:25 -0000

[eia] rules question

Rule 6.2.1.3 states:

"A fleet may not enter the Dardanelles sea area unless that major power
controls an unbesieged Constantinople, besieges Constantinople, or has
access from the major power controlling Constantinople."

In the event that I hold a besieged Constantinople, I would meet neither of
the first two conditions. As for the third condition, access usually refers
to permissions granted other powers, not a power's own ability to move
freely through it's own territory; interpreted in that way, a Turkish fleet
at a besieged Constantinople could get no farther than it's blockade box,
since the blockade box is entirely within the Dardanelles sea zone.

But Constantinople (the actual city) is on the end of a peninsula, and has
only one landward side. Besiegers without naval support would have no way
of preventing a fleet from leaving. Additionally, if the besiegers didn't
also control some point on the Dardanelles or the opposing side of the
Bosporus, they should be unable to prevent passage of ships.

How this rule is interpreted will impact my naval placements, so I need to
know how we're going to call this one before I decide.

--
J.