Kyle H on 3 Jun 2002 18:05:25 -0000

[eia] Corps identities

    Recently I've been making a big deal about how the counters on the map
only indicate whether a given corps is an infantry corps or a cavalry corps
because the precise identities of corps is only revealed during battle.  But
I'm starting to wonder whether maintaining that secrecy is worth the
trouble.  Here's why.  Normally, in a face-to-face game, hiding the
identities of the different corps is no big deal because whenever a player
forgets which corps are where, all he has to do is look at the back of the
chit to find the corps's identity.  However, in this game, there is no
(accurate) back of the chit to look at.  That means people have to take
extra special care in keeping track of which corps is which, because there
is no external record.  And, take it from me, it's very easy to forget to
keep track and get confused.
    So I've started wondering whether it is really worth the trouble to keep
corps identities secret.  After all, the contents of each corps would still
remain secret even if the identities were not.
    I think France has the most to lose by revealing corps identities,
because of the variety of types of corps available to France.  But I'm
willing to do so if other people think it would be worth while.

What do you think?

kdh