Jon Stewart on 22 Aug 2003 19:26:31 -0000

Re: [ALACPP] boost::bind and global functions?

> I was coding something with my boss today and wanted to show him the 31337nes
> s of boost::bind. The callback signature was:
>
> typedef void (*ProcessRowFunc)(FetchRow);
>
> and my boost::bind was:
>
> boost::bind(&Take::addFile, this, _1)
>
> where "this" is an instance of "Take"
>
> The compiler wouldn't match my boost::bind to the global function, which I th
> ought it should be able to do. The bind worked fine when I called its
> op(), so I'm a bit fuddled.
>
> "Gavin you stupid git, you need a boost::ref" or some other useful comment wo
> uld be appreciated...

While the "you need a boost::ref" comment is almost always apropos
(especially when fixing Gavin's use of boost::bind... <sigh>), I'm not
sure what the problem is. Can you post a bit more code? Like
Take::addFile's signature, the l-value of the bind, etc.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org