Jon Stewart on 15 Aug 2003 17:25:09 -0000

[ALACPP] Off-Topic: Weird bandwidth on linux machine

So, yeah, I'm a newb and I just got a box running linux. I also have a box
running Win2K (on identical hardware), and an iLamp running OS X.

I wanted to use rsync to back my Mac up to the linux box. I read the man
pages, got it working a few nights ago, and noticed, to my horror, that my
transfer rate was:

	6.6 KB/s

This on a 100Mbit LAN.

Not having IPerf handy, I decided to use ftp for benchmarking. Here's what
I discovered this morning:

			To/Recipient
From/Sender	iMac		Linux		Win2k
iMac		--		6.6 KB/s	6.0 MB/s
Linux		6.0 MB/s	--		6.0 MB/s
Win2k		6.0 MB/s	64 KB/s		--

What on earth could explain this discrepancy? Note that Linux's receive
bandwidth -- while always slow -- differs by an order of magnitude between
the iMac and Win2k; this difference would seem to rule out bad cabling,
etc.

ftp may give somewhat rough numbers, but the orders of magnitude are spot
on. Good transfers (of a 3MB file) are instantaneous. iMac->Linux are
interminable, Win2k->Linux are so-so.

What gives?

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org